Sunday, November 11, 2007

Ghost Spa

Jeti Oghuz is a small town set against the picturesque background of deep red sandstone cliffs. It was one of the many resorts built around Issyk-Kul during the Soviet period, and like the rest of them, it doesn't have a big tourist flow today. Its last moment of glory came in 1994, when Jeti Oghuz was chosen as the site of the first summit between Boris Yeltsin and Kyrgyz President Askar Akayev. While still operating, the Jeti Oghuz resort complex looks run-down and creepy.

Since I have a soft spot for Soviet ruins, I wanted to get inside and poke around. So I paid the fifty-cent fee for 15 minutes of using their mineral-water pool. The water in the pool looked kind of grimy and it wasn't as hot as it was supposed to be, so I used my allotted time to take pictures of the facilities. Here are a few.







1 comment:

Maury D'annato said...

Who doesn't love soviet ruins, seriously.