Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Shootin' Sam

On our second full day in Armenia, we got in a car with Sam, who rented us our apartment, and set off for the countryside to see some ancient hilltop churches: Khor Virap, which offers a view of Mt. Ararat (Armenians say Noah’s Ark went aground there), and Novarkand. As we were crossing Yerevan city limits, Sam confided that he brought his gun and gun license along on the trip, as he does whenever he leaves the city and has a chance to shoot. “I’m crazy about shooting,” he said. “I’m crazy!”

At some point on the way to Novarkand, he spotted eagles perching on the power lines and knew it was time to prove his craziness. He loaded the gun and climbed out of the car.



He cocks the rifle, but the bird flies away from its perch on the power line before he can shoot.

“When I leave car he is flight. I cannot shoot his flight! He is clever.”

This happens three times, at 10 minute intervals. After the third miss Liz whispers: “He’s not very good at this, is he?”

But Sam has a trick up his sleeve.




“When I do not leave car, he not know I am shooting.”

Sam shoots. The eagle tumbles from the power line.



“He not clever – I am clever!”



“Hey! I am killer!”

BAD